Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I Still...

Earlier today, I saw an interview between Ryan Seacrest and the New Kids on the Block. Oh. My. Goodness. New Kids on the Block. NKOTB. It's been sooooooo long since I've heard that name. They have a new single out and they're making a "comeback". What is it with comebacks lately? I think it kicked off with the reunion of Take That (minus Robbie Williams). Then there was All Saints. Then, the Spice Girls. Then it was the Eagles. Now, NKOTB.

I do not like NKOTB other than Donnie Walhberg (I simply loved him in Band of Brothers and Boomtown) and "Step by Step". So, the reunion news did not pass as exciting news. But something Seacreast said that jolted me. Something about claiming the Boyband title (or was it throne?) from the Backstreet Boys. What?!

Backstreet Boys. J'adore. I love. In my book, it will always be the Backstreet Boys. So, in honour of the Backstreet Boys, I would like to list down some of their songs that I love and why.

Song: Lay Down Beside Me
Album: Backstreet Boys

Considering that I heard this song when I was 10 years old, I didn't quite understand it. It wasn't until later, much later, that I learnt that the song was talking about the intimacy between a man and a woman. I would blush every time I listened to this song after that. However, I still love the song. I love it not so much because of the song, but the innocence that I revisit when I hear this song and I am taken back to the moments where I would sing along to this song and not know what it really meant.

Song: More Than That
Album: Black and Blue

The beat of this song is superb. The video made me fall in love with the video more. Something about the simplicity of shooting a video in what looks like an aircraft hangar with a white backdrop and a projector playing random scenery clips compliments the song.

Song: I Still...
Album: Never Gone

Oh my. Where to I begin with this song? I love it so much that from the moment I bought the album, it's been on repeat-play. I feel this song's soul. Whatever that means. But I do. My all-time favourite song. And not just from BSB. All-time. Overall. Favourite.

Song: Poster Girl
Album: Never Gone

"Very philosophical" is all I can say about this song. A song I love listening to when I'm driving (when I drive, that is). You can just belt out along with the song and hear it speak such wisdom to you.

Song: Climbing the Walls
Album: Never Gone

If "You had me at Hello" is the winning line for Jerry Macguire, the this song's winning line, for me, is

Take my hand, take my life
Just don't take forever

*contented sigh*

Song: Any Other Way
Album: Unbreakable

I love this song because, in my opinion, it speaks of being a sucker for love. Even if the person is obviously wrong for you. Strong feelings are hard to deny, no matter how shitty the other person makes you feel.

Song: Unmistakable
Album: Unbreakable

I liked this song. Didn't love it though. Until. The concert! Oh, the Unbreakable Tour in Malaysia was awesome. The routine for this song. Brian's voice. The atmosphere at Sunway. Priceless. And because of that night, I fell in love with this song.

Song: Panic!
Album: Unbreakable

I have no idea what this song it about yet I find it so philosophical.

When the snow hits your skin
The cold don't last forever but you're living again
If you don't live seasons change

Deep. Meaningful. Love.

Song: Everybody (Backstreet's Back)
Album: Backstreet's Back

Having witnessed the classic dance routine on stage (also All I Have To Give's fedora routine) is enough to make a Backstreet fan die happy. This song is the theme to/for Backstreet Boys. Just like "Oops, I Did It Again" is Britney Spears'.

Backstreet Boys @ Sunway Lagoon, Malaysia
Unbreakable Tour 2008
February 27th

Keep the Backstreet Pride Alive,
Anis

No comments: