Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Death, be not proud, you stupid motherfucker"

The above is a quote from Niffenegger's "The Time Traveler's Wife". Boy, I thought Sparks' "The Notebook" or "A Walk To Remember" was a great love story - until I read Niffenegger's novel.


The book is so moving that it haunts me. Scares me even. It constantly hummed in my mind. For many nights I dreamt of being displaced in time. And the worst - I dreamt of cradling a dead fetus. Possibly my own.

But what moves me the most is the love between the main characters. It is so real. Something we can relate to. And the way Niffenegger pens it is that you feel (almost) everything that these characters are feeling. I didn't cry after reading the book as I expected I would. However, I feel some part of me is now alive. Or can I attribute it to a sense of self-growth? I think both.

"The Time Traveler's Wife" has changed me somehow; the way I think, the way I see things. I feel... alert. Alert, of the now. Alert, of how what's happened in the past has shaped me. Alert, of how much I love my Husband.

I have no proper review on this book. I merely state my opinion of it. This book is not to be reviewed, I believe. It is to be experienced.

The best RM50 (or less) that you can spend.

Anis

No comments: