Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Art of Life (01)

She hangs up the phone after a long conversation with her mother. I have to do this, she chimed in her head. She stares blankly at the phone in her hand, mentally prepares herself, gathers whatever courage is in her, and walks briskly to him.

As he walked out the door, she knew he could tell that something was wrong. He stops just a few inches from her. Here goes...

"I cannot be with you. I love him. No. I love you, but I have to love him. He, the one I was with since I was a girl. He, who I am with now that I am a woman. And he, who's promised me the future..."

"Just because I don't say it, doesn't mean I don't love you."

She half expects him to start screaming, yell profanities, point out what an asshole she has committed herself to. But instead, he smiles. And cries. Then she cries.

There, in what will later be known as "Our Corridor", they both wept. They wept for the past they so magnificently shared. They wept for the now that has the qualities of "So close but still so far". And they wept for the future they will never have together.

She could hear his heart break. Or was that her own?

Everything will be ok. I made the right choice. So many mantras was chanted to convince herself that this was the right thing to do as she walks away from him. She glanced across her shoulders. He was just standing there - broken. She felt faint. Then, she realised she, too, was broken. Mangled. Dead.

No comments: