Monday, June 9, 2008

Cetek

Ramai yang bertanya, "Bila nak kerja?". When I answer, "I nak jadi housewife", banyak pula the judgmental looks macam, "Eh, belajar tinggi-tinggi nak jadi housewife je". Apa? Ingat housewife semua bodoh belaka? The reality that they're housewives is because they can't make it in the career world? Too incompetent? Cetek sungguh akal manusia.

On marriages, I know a lot of parents who say "Work first. Have stable job. If marry now while you're studying what will you feed your wife and kids? Pasir?". I do not contest the importance of money when starting a family. I just do not see it as the core, or the foundation of starting a family. Kesian tengok friends and cousins yang kena tunggu so long to get married. People like to look at marriage from a material aspect.

Gone were the days when it's about love, family and most importantly, an act of worship to Allah s.w.t. Marriage has since been known to be only a "piece of paper" (most Hollywood stars who have families but aren't married have been famous for quoting that they do not need a "piece of paper" to verify their love). But that's a different story.

Duit. Orang sekarang banyak berpesan kepada anak-anak, "Carik orang dari keluarga yang berada. Nanti hidup senang." Tak sekali terpikir berpesan, "Carik la yang baik-baik belaka. Yang ada pegangan agama. Yang baik aqidah nya. InsyaAllah senang hidup dunia akhirat." Sad.

I'm not saying everyone is as stated. I'm saying most. At least most of whom I know or who I am acquainted with.

Mati ka takda duit pabila bernikah? Sorry. Bukan takda duit. Kurang duit. To say takda duit is a bit off. I suppose people want what they want. But to deprive two people to marry because you want what you want is downright inhumane. Selfish.

My parents were declared bankrupt for more than a decade. But my brother and I were always happy. Because they were happy. They've been through a lot. Yet, their faith never dampened. Dad always believed rezeki tu akan ada. Minta tolong Allah s.w.t. "Only He can help", my father would say. "But praying must be accompanied by usaha", he'd continue.

My parents always thought us to be content. With what you have and what you don't have. Maybe that's why tak terasa malu pun bila officer PTPTN kat University tu minta slip gaji ayah and my answer was "My father has none". Diminta pula slip gaji ibu, I answered, "My mother is a housewife". The officer said, "Habis tu awak makan dengan apa?". I just smiled. Cetek jugak pemikiran minah ni. Little did she know that my family and I were richer than her in so many ways. Bukan duit je.

Dad and Mom, fortune diorang dah berubah. Alhamdulillah melimpah rezeki Allah s.w.t bestow upon them in the form of Dad's job in Indonesia. Alhamdulillah. But Dad always reminded us to never forget where we came from. And that we're a family.

Love. Family. Faith. These are the things that can't be measured by money. So kenapa orang nak halang dua orang bernikah sebab duit? Atau pandang rendah orang yang choose family over career? Cetek sungguh akal manusia.

Some of you may agree. Some of you will refute. Mungkin pikiran aku pun cetek jugak. However, I believe in what I believe. Nak takut apa?

Ya. Pikiran aku memang cetek.

Anis.

No comments: