Sunday, April 20, 2008

What's the point of life if Risk is just a board game

In reference to the title - sung by Hugh Grant in Dance with Me Tonight, the question that's been plaguing my mind is "When do you play safe and when do you take risks?"

Two major issues that involve the husband and I to take risks:

1) Baby(s)
Most people always ask the question of readiness when discussing having children. I question my spirituality when people ask me if I'm ready. I've always been religious but sadly it can be considered as limited. Am I good enough a person - a Muslim, to raise a baby with my husband? I would like to be ready in terms of what's spiritual before the baby arrives. But then again, I believe a child can change you for the better - the best, in fact - once he/she arrives even if you aren't ready. So do you wait until you're ready in all terms in existence before having a baby, or do you take the risk, possibly the biggest risk of your life and have the baby despite not being 'ready'?

2) Moving out
Yes. My husband and I would love to have a place of our own. But we also love living where we are now. With family. Our niece is the gem of the family. Just thinking of parting from her causes the heart to ache. But the prospect, the pleasures of having our own place is somewhat limitless. We can discuss having babies without worrying on where we'd put the baby cot since the room we're in now won't fit any other furniture save a stool. Then there's the question of the risk of making rent. With the unpredictable employment seas, whose to say when the tides can turn - especially on you. Do we stay here and risk over-staying our welcome or do we risk whatever we have and move out?

The dilemma of "what ifs" and the question of risk. How exhausting! Yet it is most exciting. I am feeling everything - at least I suppose - an adult feels.

I know I'm not alone, therefore I cannot wait to meet this Risk head-on. En garde!

No comments: