The kicks of my long academic sabbatical (yes, I'm in denial. Therefore I shall refer to my post-undergraduate and unemployed self as on a sabbatical) is that I have time to read again, and enjoy reading.
A trip to the bookstore with my husband at the beginning of the week as a way of celebrating his acceptance to the University's Post-Graduate degree program left me dumbfounded with the piling choices of books to choose from. After much pawing through numerous books' spine for interesting titles and the inner flap to get better acquainted with the story and/or the author, I settled with 3 books - naturally 2 for me and 1 for the Husband.
One of the books we bought is by Randy Pausch entitled "The Last Lecture". It's non-fiction. A memoir of sorts. I actually surprised myself for choosing this book because I'm a very anti non-fiction. I believe books should be about pirates, vampires and flying carpets. But this was a good choice. For those who loved Mitch Albom's "Tuesdays with Morrie" would love this book and even find it 10x better. One woman's opinion!
In the book, there's a chapter on cliches. And if you refer to the title of this blog, that is a cliche. A saying of sorts. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? is my favourite because in not so many words, so many lessons are packed into that phrase. The most obvious is to not focus on the tiny details of things (whilst ignoring the main problem/feature/issue/etc.) Life's too short. Of course, the cliche is a reference to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln at the theater house in 1865. I simply love the saying. It makes you think.
Pausch's book and "last" lecture is both honest and inspiring. We wish him and his family all the best.
coming back to reality.....
1 week ago






No comments:
Post a Comment