Friday, January 16, 2009

The Inner Librarian, Credit cards and Possible Self-righteousness

The head has been spinning with so many things to jot down, but never the right time, mood or sanity. I always feel that to write what you are feeling, you must first master the feeling, if not deal with it first.

1) The Inner Librarian
I often get a rush of giddiness from the joy of being in a bookstore. Playing Personal Assistant for Husband - researching the availability of certain books online, calling certain bookstores for reservation of said books, is such a joy to me. The inner librarian has been stirred this past week. Husband needs numerous books for his classes. University library has them, but limited copies. To photocopy the text when you can get the original, to us, is unethical. DVDs can be pirated(not much guilt there), but books? Takut ilmu tak berkat.

I've filled out the deferment form for my Masters (yes, I got an offer to do Masters. Wrong timing though) for at least another year. I'm very excited about having Baby Ours and going back to school. :D Baby Ours, Bonda insyaAllah will be a librarian!

2) Credit cards
I'm okay with people who do not agree with the concept of owning credit cards. However, I disagree with their attitude to pandang serong those who do not share their ideals. I, myself, have a credit card. It's dangerous to have too much cash on-hand nowadays. Plus, a lot of the transactions nowadays take place online which requires one to have a credit card.

So, yes, I do have a credit card. No need to roll eyes and claim I'm a rich brat with Daddy's plastic for shopping sprees and warn me (with much hope of this happening) of the high risk of debts I'll be facing one day.

Ey, hello. To own credit cards, you:
a. must be disciplined
b. must have an income that can cover the credit card spendings
c. must put a limit to your card

Ini langkah-langkah yang kami dah ambil. Orang yang banyak debts tu mungkin kurang ilmu tentang finance. Atau saja nak hidup lifestyle Hollywood tapi duit takda. Bawa prejudis kamu ke tempat lain la, please.

3) Possible Self-righteousness
A person reminded me of conversations I've had with Husband, friends and others alike concerning pre-marital intercourse and other prohibited-before-married stuff. Some have defended doing them because they are "in love".

If you really, truly loved someone, would you condemn the person you love and yourself to such sins? Is it really love when you throw caution (and religion) to the wind?

I am no saint. Believe you me. I've had my fair share of unbelievably stupid and regrettable mistakes. And I've learnt my lessons. I have no intentions of being self-righteous.
Aku sendiri belum cukup sempurna. Jauh lagi perjalanan aku.

Tapi sedih bila "cinta" digunakan sebagai alasan untuk nafsu dan godaan syaitan.
Cinta itu indah tapi mukanya dicoreng arang bila orang berpendapat sebegini.

Nasihat aku, kalau ada masa dan rezeki, dalami lah agama ini. Indah tau. Jangan ikut cakap orang of the do's and don'ts. Belajar sendiri. And kalau ada rezeki dan keinginan, kahwin. Nikmat bersuami isteri ini tak terkira.

A librarian in-waiting, a credit card holder and someone who is far from perfect,
Anis

No comments: