Saturday, September 6, 2008

Book shopping

Other than being with Husband, nothing soothes me more than being in the presence of books. A trip to the book store makes me giddy, just like the supposed child in the candy store.

After finishing Keith Donohue's The Stolen Child (great read, by the way) I have officially finished my haven't-read-yet books from our personal library. That library is taking up so much space in our room. If and when we have a baby and have not gotten our own place by that time, we sadly would have to move the three huge IKEA bookcases.

Money used to buy books are definitely money well spent. Even the bad buys are good buys, in a way. I've bought two new books from Borders. InsyaAllah later will be going to another Borders to purchase a book I've recently reserved. Then would like to go to Kinokuniya and purchase another book (with a certain cover) because Kinokuniya is the only place that has it.

I find that a cover of a book is very important. Sure, people say that the contents are the same even if the covers are different. But, I have to have a certain cover. It's my fetish, so to speak. Having the perfect cover is exhilarating.

I hate movie tie-in covers because the faces of the actors leaves little room for the mind to conjure an image described in the book i.e. Phillipa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl. I regret not waiting for the new stock of Scribner Paperback, because the cover is gorgeous. The one with the cast - not so much.

So when I want to buy a book, I'd always look online and see if there are different covers to a certain book. Only then will I make my purchase.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, people say. But if you want to get a book, get the cover that you adore. The cover plays a part (along with the great plot and penmanship) in attracting you to grab the book and finish it.

I love books. They are to me what shoes are to Carrie Bradshaw. Bradshaw has a closet. I have a library. We're all happy.

Anis

No comments: