Friday, March 27, 2009

Raiders

A must as a Malaysian is to have your very own favourite pirated DVD store. Usually one that is around the corner, two minutes or so from home.

Of all the nights Husband and I decided we wanted DVDs, after more than 6 months of being movie-free, we decided last night was the right time for our purchases. Armed with our list, we drove to the store.

Of all nights, the counter was staff-less. The store had a handful of people browsing through movies and what not. But there wasn't anyone behind the counter to take our "orders". It was fishy that their walkie-talkies were scattered on the table.

We waited for someone to come and take our "order". About 10 minutes passed. Still no one. I took a seat while Husband waited some more.

And of all nights, two women came in the store, badge upfront, declaring themselves the police. More officers in plain-clothes came in through the back door. Everyone in the store were asked to remain where they were.

They asked for our identification, to make sure we weren't the ones running the place. There I was thinking, "Great. I'm hungry. And this has to happen now."

After about 15-20 minutes or so, they let the customers go. Glad we haven't paid for anything. That would be such a major burn.

The way the raid went, personally, was slightly disorganized, hence, I wouldn't be surprised if the authorities didn't manage to nab anyone.

However, I'm very grateful that nothing more happened than the officers asking us a few questions.
And that we managed to buy some yummy food afterwards.
And that we didn't piss away RM50 or so.
And that we got home safely.

It was definitely a "Malaysia; Truly Asia" experience.

Anis

P/S: Is this a subtle warning to not support the industry of "pirated DVDs" from the Powers-That-Be?