Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Response

Dear Sr Anis:
TQ for the recommendation. We will forward it to the relevant parties.
As you might know, the IIUM Library do not allow children to enter the Library for obvious reasons like making noise, running around, etc. In the past we had received complaints from customers that they were disturbed by the presence of children in the library.
My response: Agreed. And respected.
On the other hand, we understand parents who need to come to the library to borrow or return books but had to bring their children along. As such, the Children's Waiting Area was created. (This does not answer the call of SINGLE parents with a BABY/TODDLER) We furnished the room with suitable books for children to pass time while waiting for their parents. (Assuming the child is old enough to read though) Previously there were a lot of reading materials but maybe some have "accidently" taken them home.
As the name of the room indicates, it is supposed to be a "Waiting Area" -a few minutes waiting, not hours and hours. (I wasn't expecting it to be like a playschool. Just secure and well-equipped is all). The security and taking care of the children still falls under the responsibility of the parents, not the library staff, especially those manning the desk outside the room. (Exactly! And you still expect single parents to leave their baby/toddler there???)
So we hope everybody is clear about the usage of the room.

I have nothing else to say.
I don't think they got the point I was trying to make.
I was highlighting babies/toddlers i.e. children between 0-12 months or below the age of 5.

No comments: