So we brought our Son along.
The library, for noise-control reasons, do not allow children in.
So I made my dash into the library whilst Husband and Faris waited in the "Children's Waiting Area".
A lot has changed since I graduated 2 years ago.
New carpets. New printers. New lockers.
But the attitude (some) of the library staff:
Same 'ol. Same 'ol.
After my dash was done, Husband and I switched.
So, I waited with Faris in the waiting area.
1) It was hazardous.
The book rack had those fragile glass sheets where you slot in the books. It's dangerous for any baby/toddler
2) It was dirty
The table where you'd sit and read had a glass top. It was grimy and greasy. The other mother waiting in that room actually giggled as I took out the baby wipes to wipe the table down before I let Faris touch it.
The blue couches had very questionable stains.
Call me a clean freak, but I'm just looking out for my son. At his age and teething, he puts his hands in his mouth a lot.
3) No toys (i.e. blocks, or those sempoa-like beads, etc.)
The notice at the waiting area basically said, if your child is noisy, we reserve the right to kick you out. I don't know if these people have children. but they should know that waiting in a attraction-less room is not one of their strong suits. The need to be occupied, entertained. Otherwise, they sometimes whine.
Like, the other mother waiting with her toddler when Faris and I were there, her daughter was bored, after exploring the waiting area (for a full 10 seconds), started to whine. And then cry. The staff that manned the library entrance started giving us mothers the stink-eye as if saying; "Shut that kid up. This is a library". Now who's fault is that?
4) The books in there are the saddest things I've seen.
Torn. Age inappropriate (for baby/toddler argument's sake). Grimy.
Enough said.
5) I submited a complaint highlighting some of the points I've mentioned. But I mostly championed letting single parents in with their baby/toddler, who need to do their research but do not have the priviledge of a sitter/nursery. I think some parties just don't get it.
This is basically what I wrote:
Salaam.
To whom it may concern.Just to raise a few concerns; your library's Children's Waiting Area is ill-equiped (lack of interesting reading materials/educational toys) and hazardous to babies/toddlers (your bookscase has really fragile glass sheets). And please consider single parents who need to do their research but have no babysitters/nannies and need to take their child along. Thank you.-A student and a mother.






No comments:
Post a Comment