Husband bought us this:
But the visit saddened me.
The hard fact that statistically, Malaysians read one book a year.
Any book.
And then there's the hard fact that there aren't that many Malaysian writers in English.
Say what you will about my not loving my mother tongue. You don't know me or my preferences.
(Oh dear, I was distracted)
I'd like to read a fiction written about Malaysia, by Malaysians.
Something to put Malaysia on the literary map.
Princess Shawl is the first Malaysian children's literature I've come across.
I know that there's K.S Maniam's and there's Daphne Lee's, but this is the first that I was exposed to via Shirley Lim's visit to the university.
I'd just like my children's Malaysia to be available in literature, written by Malaysians.
They deserve that much, what with the advancements the country has made over the past 10 years.
Anis






2 comments:
Anis! I think YOU shld write and get urself published with silverfish!
i think you'd definitely be a great writer.
Maryam. Thank you. You do flatter. But I don't think my ego can survive critics and editors. :D
Post a Comment